COVID

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
I did not want to start a thread on this but we just got word that my nephew who is stationed at Langley AFB his room mate has tested positive for COVID and now they are both in Quarantine. Asked if they are testing him at all and at the moment no. Looks like a wait and see on testing. But according to Trump everyone gets tested even the military when needed. My words to Trump is Bull Sh!t and Fake News

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Every day in Houston there are huge lines of cars waiting to be tested. For a long *** time they could only test 1,000 people a day in a city of 3 million. There are huge lines of cars waiting to get food as well. It feels like we’re on the verge of some awful things happening.

I for one am thrilled that we’re apparently not going to let CDC guidelines prevent us from having in person school this fall. What could possibly go wrong?

Crazy times.

Last edited:

Mainer1991

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Best wishes to your nephew, adiddle. Crazy times indeed. We've been able to keep it under control here in Maine and it's been just us and NH with declining caseloads over the last few weeks, but we just had a large uptick today. I learned yesterday that a friend's business that employs almost exclusively immigrants and refugees experienced an outbreak despite extreme safety precautions. I think there's a lot of undercounting going on in that community due to folks being undocumented, not knowing how to access the health care system, etc.

I hope this crisis prompts us to take a good long look at how we do things as a country and government, and make some serious changes in the future. I talk to friends in other countries and it's humiliating and embarrassing to compare our incompetent leadership, at nearly all levels, to that of countries who we consider to be less "developed" than ours. Vietnam for instance, with under 400 cases nationwide and now a full economic reopening as a result. Cuba, with fewer than 100 total deaths and that is also reopening.

Trump came to Maine a couple weeks ago and called our governor a "dictator" for the public health and safety measures she's taken here, and spouted on about the damage it will do to our economy. Look in the mirror, buddy, if our collective response as a country had been more unified and rigid, a lot of businesses and economic livelihoods would be saved.

Alas.

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Best wishes to your nephew, adiddle. Crazy times indeed. We've been able to keep it under control here in Maine and it's been just us and NH with declining caseloads over the last few weeks, but we just had a large uptick today. I learned yesterday that a friend's business that employs almost exclusively immigrants and refugees experienced an outbreak despite extreme safety precautions. I think there's a lot of undercounting going on in that community due to folks being undocumented, not knowing how to access the health care system, etc.

I hope this crisis prompts us to take a good long look at how we do things as a country and government, and make some serious changes in the future. I talk to friends in other countries and it's humiliating and embarrassing to compare our incompetent leadership, at nearly all levels, to that of countries who we consider to be less "developed" than ours. Vietnam for instance, with under 400 cases nationwide and now a full economic reopening as a result. Cuba, with fewer than 100 total deaths and that is also reopening.

Trump came to Maine a couple weeks ago and called our governor a "dictator" for the public health and safety measures she's taken here, and spouted on about the damage it will do to our economy. Look in the mirror, buddy, if our collective response as a country had been more unified and rigid, a lot of businesses and economic livelihoods would be saved.

Alas.
I guess this is not the same governor that said black guys named d-money were coming up from New York to sell drugs and get white girls pregnant? Lol

Floorkiller74

Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
We are going back to school in person 4 days a week. One day will be online only. Lots of people here calling out Gov a dictator too...she gave in a little and cases spiked. People don't understand that the ones who refuse to wear the masks are making this go on and on and on.

Alan, thoughts are with your nephew.

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
We are going back to school in person 4 days a week. One day will be online only. Lots of people here calling out Gov a dictator too...she gave in a little and cases spiked. People don't understand that the ones who refuse to wear the masks are making this go on and on and on.

Alan, thoughts are with your nephew.
Are you worried about yourself? I have to say it would be a difficult decision for me to show up for that type of job where you interact with hundreds of kids every day.

Floorkiller74

Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Are you worried about yourself? I have to say it would be a difficult decision for me to show up for that type of job where you interact with hundreds of kids every day.

Not as much about myself, because I can keep my distance. It's just going to be a frustrating model. 1/2 the kids will come one week, the other 1/2 will come the next week, and they will rotate. in addition to teaching the kids in school, I have to teach the kids at home...so probably streaming. Nothing is a done deal, if things get worse, it will be online only (Kids will be starting in person about a month later than normal to assess this). As much as i hate online, thats what they should be doing right now. FFS if I have to stream it anyway....

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Not as much about myself, because I can keep my distance. It's just going to be a frustrating model. 1/2 the kids will come one week, the other 1/2 will come the next week, and they will rotate. in addition to teaching the kids in school, I have to teach the kids at home...so probably streaming. Nothing is a done deal, if things get worse, it will be online only (Kids will be starting in person about a month later than normal to assess this). As much as i hate online, thats what they should be doing right now. FFS if I have to stream it anyway....

What grade do you teach? Subject? I imagine teaching kids in elementary school will be a huge challenge.

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
In New Jersey there is word that some of the teachers are starting to balk a little because the setup they are proposing is a larger workload than normal and the teachers union is listening.

Floorkiller74

Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
What grade do you teach? Subject? I imagine teaching kids in elementary school will be a huge challenge.
10th, 11th- Chemistry and Physics. Do they expect High Schoolers to social distance between classes? At lunch? Even at 1/2 capacity at a time, we could have as many as 900 kids on campus at once (No idea how many kids will stay home)

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
10th, 11th- Chemistry and Physics. Do they expect High Schoolers to social distance between classes? At lunch? Even at 1/2 capacity at a time, we could have as many as 900 kids on campus at once (No idea how many kids will stay home)
Oh ****, I didn't know you were that smart! I'm probably more of the social studies and history guy. heh

I would guess at least teenagers would understand the danger better even if they may disregard it.

Last edited:

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Yeah, teaching in person AND online is a huge jump in work load.
Are you guys balking to the union also. My friend who is a retired principle has said the teachers here will not work more hours for the same money.
That is why the union is listening
Good luck with everything Justin with everything going on please stay safe no matter what

Floorkiller74

Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Oh ****, I didn't know you were that smart! I'm probably more of the social studies and history guy. heh

I would guess at least teenagers would understand the danger better even if they may disregard it.

I have taught History in the past when needed, I think the last time was 2 history classes 6 years or so ago. My kids last year were taking it pretty seriously from what it sounded like. I'm sure in the classroom it won't be a problem, again it's passing and lunch lol.

Are you guys balking to the union also. My friend who is a retired principle has said the teachers here will not work more hours for the same money.
That is why the union is listening
Good luck with everything Justin with everything going on please stay safe no matter what
Yeah, the union has been pretty involved. We go back in a couple weeks, but the kids will do online stuff until after labor day. The district will then re-assess the situation. I feel my school will be very supportive of us. I know we won't be getting more money- much of the school budget comes from the oil and gas industry, which tanked this year. We will likely be "Doing more with less" Not class related, but i will likely be asked to support more individual students this year- though I'm always willing to do that (though usually I get paid for doing it, that likely won't be the case this year)

Thanks Alan, I appreciate it.

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Chris in watching CNN today it looks like Texas is getting a very bad rap along with California and Florida as all three states have by passed New York by at least 100,000 cases or more each.
Are you in the thick of things or in a safer zone.
Can only hope for the latter and if not you are staying safe.

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Chris in watching CNN today it looks like Texas is getting a very bad rap along with California and Florida as all three states have by passed New York by at least 100,000 cases or more each.
Are you in the thick of things or in a safer zone.
Can only hope for the latter and if not you are staying safe.
I’m in the middle of the worst in Houston. Our state leadership is incompetent. They think they can contain the virus by letting each city and county do what they like. In our county many months ago the leadership tried to enforce masks to stop the spread but the police publicly refused to do it and the city said they wouldn’t enforce it. Now, months later, the city is enforcing it with warnings and fines from the police. Of course now some districts and schools are attempting to open. Just a failure all around.

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.